The woman who has alleged that she was choked as she was sexually assaulted by NRL star Jack de Belin had marks consistent with being grabbed around the neck the following day, a court has heard.
Mr de Belin, 29, and Callan Sinclair, 23, are standing trial in the Wollongong District Court where they have pleaded not guilty to five counts of aggravated sexual assault, claiming that the woman consented to intercourse.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claimed that during the alleged assault in the early hours of December 9, 2018, Mr de Belin grabbed her by the throat and she feared she was going to lose consciousness.
“I felt like I was going to pass out, that’s how hard he was choking me,” the woman previously told the court.
A doctor who examined the woman later that day at the Wollongong Hospital sexual assault unit observed several marks on her body.
Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong Court House on Friday morning. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Simon BullardSource:News Corp Australia
Dr Ann Ellacott marked in her report that the alleged victim had a mark on the right side of her neck and was complaining of pain in her right shoulder, back and the front of her chest.
She was asked by crown prosecutor David Scully if “such a bruise could be caused by a hand applying force to the neck”.
“It could,” Dr Ellacott replied.
The jury was also shown 10 photos of the alleged victim taken by NSW Police two days later that showed a bruise on the left side of her neck.
Dr Ellacott said the bruise was not present on the then 19-year-old woman when she was examined on December 9.
“Is it possible for a force to be applied on the 9th of December 2018 and for a bruise not to show up until the 11th of December 2018,” Mr Scully asked.
“Yes,” Dr Ellacott said.
Dr Ellacott also said that during her examination on December 9, she did not observe any injuries to the woman’s genitals.
Callan Sinclair has pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman alongside Jack de Belin. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Simon BullardSource:News Corp Australia
She however noted: “In the minority of sexual assaults we would see an injury.”
Mr de Belin’s lawyers attempted to cast doubt on the reliability of Dr Ellacott’s report, noting she had recorded that the woman reported she had gone swimming between the assault and being examined.
“I would suggest that’s a mistake on my part,” Dr Ellacott said.
“You’re very careful in the way you prepare this report aren’t you … And above it you’ve written ‘bathed more than once’ as well,” Barrister David Campbell SC said.
“I have and that’s incorrect also,” Dr Ellacott said.
The trial before Judge Andrew Haesler continues.
Originally published asNRL star’s alleged victim left with bruising
Source: Read Full Article