Don’t wait 30 years – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!
Manchester United have completed the signing of Brazil defender Alex Telles.
Telles, 27, has joined the Red Devils from Portuguese champions Porto after agreeing a £17million fee.
The left-back has penned a four-year contract with United, who were desperate to bring in defensive reinforcements before the transfer window closes at 11pm.
The deal also includes an option for an extra year.
United swooped for Telles after missing out on Sergio Reguilon – who joined Tottenham last month from Real Madrid – and Dutch champions Ajax knocked back a loan inquiry for Nicolas Tagliafico.
Telles joined Porto from Turkish giants Galatasaray in the summer of 2016 for a nominal fee of £5.9million euros.
The full-back became quickly became an internal part of Porto's starting XI, making a total of 195 appearances in his five seasons in Portugal.
During that time, Telles scored 26 goals and provided a whopping 57 assists for the Portuguese champions.
Notable transfer fees for British players
- 1893: Aston Villa kicked off the big money transfers with tier £100 cheque to land Willie Groves from West Bromwich Albion.
- 1904: Alf Commons moved from Sunderland to Middlesbrough for £1,000 and sparked a national outrage.
- 1928: Arsenal bought David Jack from Bolton Wanderers for £10,890
- 1957: John Charles moves from Leeds to Juventus shatters the transfer record at £65,000
- 1961: Denis Law joins Manchester United from Torino for £115,000
- 1970: Martin Peters joins Tottenham from West Ham for £200,000
- 1977: Kevin Keegan goes from Liverpool to Hamburg for £500,000
- 1979: Trevor Francis becomes first £1m player with switch from Birmingham to Nottingham Forest.
- 1996: Alan Shearer goes from Blackburn to Newcastle for £15m
- 2013: Gareth Bale switches from Tottenham to Real Madrid for £86m
The arrival of Telles will put a huge amount of pressure on England international Luke Shaw, who turned in a horrific display in United's 6-1 hammering at the hands of Tottenham last weekend.
Although it's unlikely he'll be immediately thrust into the starting XI, Telles' United debut could come a week on Saturday in the Red Devils' trip to the northeast to take on Newcastle United.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- Premier League
- Manchester United FC
- FC Porto FC
Source: Read Full Article