Manchester United left Borussia Dortmund chiefs “baffled” after making a bizarre bid to sign wing-back Nico Schulz once they realised they would be unable to sign Jadon Sancho, reports ESPN.
United had a hectic transfer deadline day, making five signings to bolster Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad.
They completed deals to sign Alex Telles, Edinson Cavani, Amad Traore, Facundo Pellistri and 18-year-old defender Willy Kambwala, who will link up with the under-18 team.
However, they missed out on their top target of the summer, after failing to convince Dortmund to lower their asking price of £108million.
United had been desperate to sign the winger throughout the summer after Solskjaer made him his top target of the window.
JUST IN: Chelsea star Olivier Giroud opens up on Serie A transfer interest and admits he may leave
However, United failed to make a bid before Dortmund’s self-imposed deadline of August 10th, and the deal was dead from then on.
The Red Devils moved onto alternative targets late in the window, and were close to signing Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele before the move collapsed.
Now, it has emerged that United made a last-ditch attempt to sign Sancho’s team-mate Schulz on deadline day.
Schulz, 27, only joined Dortmund last summer from Hoffenheim, but failed to find his feet at the Signal Iduna Park.
Novak Djokovic promises ‘battle’ against Rafael Nadal ahead of French Open final
Luis Suarez claims Barcelona sold him to keep him away from Lionel Messi
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp told to raid the Championship for ex-Arsenal transfer target
And ESPN reports that United made a stunning attempt to sign him on loan for the year, and offered to pay his wages in full for the duration of the deal.
The report claims Dortmund officials were left baffled by the bid, and subsequently had questions about United’s transfer policy and recruitment department.
The two clubs were in talks throughout the summer over a deal for Sancho, but reports claim United were left shellshocked after learning Dortmund’s August 10th deadline was legitimate, and that they wouldn’t do a deal late in the window.
According to The Athletic’s David Ornstein, United chiefs frantically called Dortmund after learning the deal was off the table.
Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
He explained: “Dortmund set a deadline of early August, that then got pushed back to August 10.
“It came and went without any progress, so Dortmund said ‘it’s case closed, you missed your chance and he’s staying with us until at least 2021’.
“It was around that time that United contacted Dortmund and said ‘is this for real?’ and the kind of message back was ‘yeah, what else did you expect?’
“United could stand accused of misreading the situation or calling Dortmund’s buff unsuccessfully, not believing them.
“I can kind of understand why they’ve done that, in previous times we’ve seen Dortmund say similar things publicly only to end up selling at the end of the window in the cases of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ousmane Dembele.”
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article