Categories
Soccer

Lampard lifts lid on touchline chat with Solskjaer during Man Utd game

Frank Lampard has revealed what he said to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after Chelsea's draw with Manchester United.

The west Londoners were held to a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford on Saturday evening in a match that failed to live up to expectations.

Chances were at a premium, with the best opportunities falling United's way.

Lampard, like many others, was less than impressed with how the game turned out and conveyed his frustration to his opposite number after the final whistle.

"It wasn't a classic, was it? I said that," Lampard told Sky Sports when asked what he said in his post-match conversation with the Norwegian. "If I was at half-five waiting for Man U and Chelsea, and you're a neutral, you want more.

"But I think at the start of this season I'm watching games, tough games. People are finding the same and we have to be humble to that and work and get better."

Chelsea dominated large portions of the match but were unable to convert their possession into chances, a failure Lampard was quick to lament.

"Happy with the clean sheet," the former Blues midfielder said when asked to further assess the match. "Obviously we want more than a point.

"When you come to Manchester United if you don't concede that's a great base and shows some progression for us.

"Was our game in the final third as we wanted it to be? No. Pretty understandable when you enter a game of this level when you do enter the final third you want to make things happen a bit more.

"It didn't come off for us. Not enough penetration. Things to improve on but the clean sheet is very good."

Chelsea will be back in action on Wednesday evening, travelling to Russia to take on Krasnodar in their second Champions League group match of the season.

United will also be in Champions League action on Wednesday, welcoming RB Leipzig told Old Trafford.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard must avoid similar tactical mistake vs Man Utd

Don’t wait 30 years – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard will aim to record his first Premier League win over Manchester United counterpart Ole Gunnar Solskjaer this evening.

Solskjaer’s Red Devils done the double over the Blues last season, first thumping Lampard 4-0 on his top-flight debut before claiming another 2-0 victory later in the season.

United also got the better of Chelsea in the Carabao Cup, with Marcus Rashford ’s breathtaking long-range free-kick the difference in their fourth-round win at Stamford Bridge.

Nevertheless, after three straight defeats against Solskjaer, Lampard finally came out on top when they met in the FA Cup semi-finals over the summer.

Chelsea stormed into a 3-0 lead at Wembley, before United added a late consolation when Bruno Fernandes swept home from the penalty spot.

In that victory, Lampard switched from his typical 4-3-3 setup to a 3-4-3 – which is a formation United have become accustomed to using themselves against top-level opposition.

The Blues cancelled out Solskjaer’s men on the day as a result, with Fernandes and Rashford enjoying little success against a well-drilled back three at the national stadium.

  • Marcos Rojo becomes Man Utd free-kick taker and almost replicates Cristiano Ronaldo

It proved an inspired tactical switch from Lampard, who had came unstuck against the same opposition three times earlier in the season by using a four-man backline.

The absence of midfield anchor N'Golo Kante admittedly influenced his decision on the day, yet it still proved one of Chelsea’s most dominant and compact performances of the 2019/20 campaign regardless.

Lampard also enjoyed success against Tottenham by setting up in similar fashion, becoming the first ever manager to do a league double over former boss Jose Mourinho last season.

It is no secret that his side have encountered defensive problems since he returned to Stamford Bridge, conceding an alarming 54 goals in his debut season at the helm and nine in their first five outings of the new season.

However, fielding a three-man backline often gives Chelsea some much-needed solidity when faced with a elite-level threat, and Lampard should be seriously considering it ahead of tonight’s pivotal showdown with United.

After adding an array of world-class talent to his ranks in the summer, he will have long-term plans to steer away from such a formation in order to accomodate the likes of Kai Havertz, Mason Mount, Christian Pulisic and Hakim Ziyech.

But Lampard simply cannot afford to come away from Old Trafford empty handed this evening, which he very well could do by deploying his preferred 4-3-3 setup.

Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

United are designed to sit deep and hit on the counter. It’s why they registered two wins over Chelsea in the Premier League last season and it’s why they also snatched a late 2-1 victory away at Paris St-Germain in the week.

Lampard's new-look Blues appear way too vulnerable right now, so he should cast his mind back to that fine Wembley outing in July and cancel Solskjaer out again tonight.

  • Frank Lampard
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
  • Chelsea FC
  • Manchester United FC

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Frank Lampard reacts to Kepa Arrizabalaga error which sparked Chelsea collapse

Frank Lampard insists Kepa Arrizabalaga wasn't solely to blame for Southampton's first equaliser against Chelsea on Saturday.

The Blues were held to a 3-3 draw by Ralph Hasenhuttl's men, with a 90th-minute equaliser from Jannik Vestergaard rescuing a point for Saints.

Kepa, who returned to the starting XI due to injury to Blues new-boy Edouard Mendy, didn't cover himself in glory for Saint's first leveller – which came via from Che Adams.

Adams was put through by a horrific back pass from Kurt Zouma, which left the former Birmingham City man bearing down on goal.

Kepa was tentative as he came off his line and ultimately bottled his challenge on Adams, who managed to keep the ball in play and smash it high into the net.

Many Blues fans were quick to pile on the world's most expensive keeper, who has made a string of errors over the last few months.

Lampard, however, insists the blame for Adam's goal doesn't solely rest at the 26-year-old's feet.

Premier League's most expensive kit deals

  1. Manchester United (Adidas) – £75m-a-season
  2. Liverpool (Nike) – £70m-a-season*
  3. Manchester City (Puma) – £65m-a-season
  4. Chelsea (Nike) – £60m-a-season
  5. Arsenal (Adidas) – £50m-a-season
  6. Tottenham (Nike) – £30m-a-season

*If bonuses are met

"I talked about Kepa before, and it wasn't just his fault in the goal," Lampard said. "Mendy is injured and could be fit in the next week or two weeks then it will be my choice."

Although Lampard doesn't hold Kepa solely responsible for Adams' goal, he wants the former Athletic Bilbao man to be strong enough to take the criticism that comes his way.

"He has to be strong enough, that is what it is like in elite sport and goalkeepers have to deal with that," the Blues boss said.

"He will have the support of myself and his teammates. It's a shame because he made some good saves."

Chelsea will be back in action on Tuesday night, welcoming Spanish giants Sevilla to Stamford Bridge for their opening Champions League group match.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

N’Golo Kante’s relationship with Frank Lampard ‘cold’ after summer decision

N’Golo Kante’s relationship with Frank Lampard has reportedly “gone cold” in recent weeks after the Chelsea boss refused to grant him time off to attend a friend’s wedding.

Kante was linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge in the summer transfer window, having been identified as a top target by former manager Antonio Conte at Inter Milan.

In the end the Italian club failed to submit an offer, nevertheless, meaning he has remained a Chelsea player until the January window at least.

Lampard spoke regularly about his desire to keep Kante over the summer, yet French outlet Le Parisien claim his relationship with the midfielder has since deteriorated.

When he arrived at Clairefontaine to meet up with the France squad last week, Kante is said to have appeared in good spirits after looking “grim” at Chelsea in recent weeks.

It is believed Lampard rejected his request to take a day off from Blues training to attend his friend’s wedding, a decision which he has struggled to accept.

The 29-year-old’s entourage therefore believe a move away from Stamford Bridge will be easier to achieve next year.

Inter would undoubtedly be in the running to prise Kante away from Chelsea in 2021 amid Conte’s admiration for him, although with over two years still to run on his current contract he will not come cheap.

The player himself reportedly dreams of playing for Real Madrid after supporting the Spanish champions in his childhood.

Los Blancos have not been touted as a realistic destination for him just yet, although fellow Frenchman Zinedine Zidane may look to explore a potential deal for his compatriot next summer if he becomes available.

Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Kante has made 175 appearances for Chelsea, winning the Premier League title under Conte in his debut season at the club.

He has also picked up the FA Cup and the Europa League in his time at Stamford Bridge, where he moved to after playing a key role in Leicester’s shock 2015/16 Premier League title triumph.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Ziyech gives Lampard boost as he prepares to unleash new-look Chelsea attack

Hakim Ziyech marked his return from injury with an assist and an eye-catching display for Morocco in their 3-1 win over Senegal on Friday.

The 27-year-old winger came off the bench to feature in the final half-hour of the friendly and played a key part in the build-up as Morocco doubled their lead through Youssef En-Nesyri's 71st-minute goal.

Ziyech then grabbed an assist as his curling delivery from a free kick on the left was headed in by Youssef El Arabi, who beat Senegal's high line with his well-timed run.

Watford star Ismaila Sarr pulled one back from the penalty spot for the visitors in added time, though Ziyech had helped put the match out of their reach by that stage.

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard will hope Ziyech's impressive display is a sign of things to come as he prepares to unveil a revitalised attack after the international break.

Ziyech arrived from Ajax for an initial fee of £33.3million but is yet to feature for the Blues after sustaining a knee injury in pre-season.

Before Chelsea's last match – the 4-0 win over Crystal Palace – Lampard said he was "not quite fit enough to be on the bench", after the Blues emerged from their first three games with one win, one draw and one defeat.

Get the latest news straight into your inbox!

It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!

All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.

To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.

Following a mixed start to the season, it seems likely Lampard will introduce Ziyech in the starting lineup in a bid to help Chelsea's attackers find their form.

Fellow new signings Timo Werner and Kai Havertz are still finding their feet, with both stars yet to find the back of the net in the Premier League.

The introduction of Ziyech as a creative force may unleash the duo's potential and Lampard may choose to field the former Ajax man on the right flank, with Christian Pulisic on the left, Werner up front and Havertz in the No.10 role.

Is Ziyech the missing piece Lampard's been needing to get Chelsea's attackers firing? Have your say here.

Ziyech's return to fitness is timely, as next Saturday Chelsea host a Southampton side full of confidence after registering back-to-back wins and clean sheets before the international break.

Lampard will be looking to the Moroccan to make an impact on his debut by unlocking the Saints.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Chelsea transfer round-up: Blues eye de Roon, Hazard’s Spurs snub and more

Chelsea avoided any transfer deadline day drama with Frank Lampard completing all his
transfer dealings before the end of September.

The Blues boss has brought over £200million worth of talent to Stamford Bridge this summer,
with Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner, Kai Havertz, Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr, Ben Chilwell and
Edouard Mendy all joining the club.

However, Lampard is unlikely to stand still in the coming months, and the former England international could still dip into the extended EFL window in the coming days.

We take a look at the latest transfer stories surrounding Lampard’s side during the
international break.

Lampard to target summer free transfers as Declan Rice alternatives

If Lampard continues to be frustrated in his attempts to sign England midfielder Declan Rice
from West Ham, he could look into a bargain alternative next summer.

According to reports from the Daily Express, Lampard would be open to potential free agents
ahead of the 2021/22 season, with the Hammers set to dig in over their £60m valuation of
Rice.

Atalanta star Marten de Roon is rumoured to be the front runner for Lampard, with the Dutch
international yet to agree a contract extension with the Serie A club.

Nice star Danilo is a potential backup option to former Middlesbrough midfielder De Roon,
with ex-Blues defender Ryan Bertrand or Danny Rose being lined up as affordable replacements for Emerson Palmieri and Marcos Alonso.

Sheffield Wednesday eye Jake Clarke-Salter loan move

Championship club Sheffield Wednesday are considering a loan offer for Chelsea defender Jake Clarke-Salter before the EFL window shuts.

The Owls secured a season-long loan deal for Blues midfielder Izzy Brown last month, and
according to reports from the Sheffield Star, they want to add Clarke-Salter to their Chelsea
contingent.

Clarke-Salter is rumoured to have rejected loan offers from Belgium and Turkey last month to
prioritise another Championship loan move after spending last season at Birmingham City.

Wednesday boss Garry Monk has highlighted centre back as an area in need of strengthening
in the coming week, but fellow Championship sides Huddersfield Town, Derby County and City
could challenge them for the England U21 international.

Harry Redknapp reveals Eden Hazard rejection as Tottenham boss

Former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has lifted the lid on his failed attempt to bring
Eden Hazard to White Hart Lane in 2012.

Redknapp claimed he spoke to Hazard about a move from Lyon ahead of the 2012/13 season,
but the Belgian international was determined to play Champions League football.

Tottenham secured a top four finish at the end of the 2011/12 Premier League campaign, but
Chelsea’s Champions League final win over Bayern Munich edged them out of the Champions
League, and Hazard headed for Stamford Bridge.

“I lost Eden Hazard. He wanted to come to Tottenham but he said he would only come if we
got Champions League football,” Redknapp told Sky Sports.

“We finished fourth that year, Chelsea finished sixth, they won the Champions League and we
didn’t make it.

“He ended up going to Chelsea.”

Hazard went on to make 352 appearances in all competitions for the Blues, netting 110 goals and winning two Premier League and two Europa League titles before his 2019 move to Real Madrid.

*Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Wayne Rooney and Derby stars save Phillip Cocu’s job with tactics intervention

Wayne Rooney and senior Derby players may have helped save Phillip Cocu's job by convincing him to modify his tactics.

The struggling Rams picked up their first Championship win of the season at Norwich from Rooney's superb late free-kick in a 1-0 triumph.

It eased the pressure on County's boss Cocu after opening with three straight League losses to spark fears of the axe ahead of the international break.

The victory followed Cocu tweaking his tactics in the team meeting in their hotel in Norwich before the game.

Cocu was outlining his plans for the Carrow Road clash when senior players spoke up.

They said Derby needed to be much harder to play against after their previous 4-0 home defeat to Blackburn, when they trailed 3-0 at the break.

Senior players argued for the Rams to be much more aggressive out of possession to harry opponents more.

England's record goal-scorer Rooney,34, a player-coach at Pride Park, then voiced his support for the approach before Cocu agreed to adopt it.

Reflecting on the win, Dutch coach Cocu, 49, said: “They gave the confirmation to themselves about what we spoke about in our meetings about what we should put on the pitch as individuals and as a whole.

“That has to be on the pitch every game.

“It is regardless of whether we play a fantastic game of football where everything goes to plan.

“Some games we struggle for whatever reason but we still need that attitude.

“You never know in football but I think this is an important turning point.”

Get the latest news straight into your inbox!

It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!

All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.

To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.

Cocu enjoyed a distinguished career in midfield for Barcelona and Holland and has got Derby playing out from the back since replacing Frank Lampard in July 2019.

The 20th-placed team came 10th in his first season and return to action at home to Watford next Friday.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

Source: Read Full Article